Sunday, February 6, 2011

My House

This is my house:


My house is probably one of my favourite parts about living here. It's absolutely beautiful. When I first walked in, I was totally overwhelmed. The ceilings were so high, the hallways so wide. It seemed to overwhelm all of our old furniture, and it made me feel like I was the height of a five-year-old. I resented the fact that I had no neighbors, because when we moved here, the houses that you see in the picture to the left and right of mine did not exist. I've gotten used to the quiet neighborhood, and I've gotten used to the feeling of being about half the height of the doors.

My street has literally nobody that I know well on it. I don't particularly like this fact, and I wish that I knew more of the people, but having no immediate neighbors makes it hard to get to know everyone. As well, most people near us are all young families, with small kids, and so my parents don't particularly fit in, me being the youngest in my family.

The one thing about my street that I would change is the location... I wish it was closer to more places that I could walk to. The only thing within walking distance is the a mall, but it's about three km away, and it's not always worth it to walk that far. At my old house, I could walk literally anywhere, and if I couldn't walk there, I could take the bus. There isn't a public bus system here, so I'm essentially stuck in one spot until I get a ride from somebody.

However horrible that seems, it's not really, because I can always take scenic walks within my community. There's lots to see with regard to lakes and trees and whatnot, and it's never too crowded.

--Lauren

[An estimated 150 days until I visit Calgary]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, questions, etc!